I’ve finally been able to start using a mobile phone mount on the clip-ons on my Ducati SuperSport S. It’s a 2018 build of the 2017+ model. I had an issue for a while with my iPhone 11 (or apparently any phone with optical image stabilisation), where the vibration from the handlebars would break the camera focussing mechanism in the phone. I was able to solve that recently with a RAM mount compatible vibration isolator from Hondo Garage.
With the phone useable again, the next challenge was how to power it for long trips. I could just use a battery bank sitting in my tank bag, but that seems awfully inconvenient. I did discover recently though that the SuperSport has a ‘supplemental socket’ near the fork stem (on the right hand side) that could provide 12V when the ignition is on. However, there didn’t seem to be a product available from Ducati or anyone else to use it.
After a bit of poking around, I found the socket. It had a plug in it already – but the plug was just there for you to be able to easily get to it, given it was tucked in under the frame. This is what the plug looked like once removed.
As you can see, it was really just there to allow you to grab it so that you can get to the socket. It’s a JWPF type connector. I bought some JWPF plugs from an electronics store, plus the contacts to go in them.
Given its a 12V circuit, and USB runs at 5V, I needed a waterproof USB female socket designed for a car/motorcycle/boat where the supply is 12V. I picked one up from the local electronics store.
The USB socket came with a 7.5A in line fuse. Given the supplemental socket on the bike where this was going to be plugged in already had a 7.5A fuse on it (in the fuse box), I didn’t use the USB provided one. I confirmed with the electrical diagram for the bike, that this supplemental socket was on the same circuit as the under seat USB socket.
Before I could start creating the new cable assembly, I needed to work out from the bike which of the 2 pins in the supplemental socket was for 12V, and which was for GND. I couldn’t easily see that, as the supplemental socket was clipped somewhere behind the frame and therefore hard to get to for an inspection. I quickly soldered a test cable with two exposed leads, so I could then hit it with a multimeter to determine where the +12V was.
After that, it was just a small soldering job. I removed the SAE plug that the USB socket came with, and put a JWPF connector on instead. I then used some wet area silicon to seal the back of the JWPF connector, as the provided weather seal wasn’t compatible with the gauge of insulator attached to the USB socket.
I plugged it in to the supplemental socket on the bike, and sure enough, when the ignition is on the USB socket has power. I then used some double sided tape to tape it to the fairing. I wanted to make sure it could all be removed again without leaving a trace (rather than screwing the USB socket to the fairing).
A few final checks to make sure that the USB socket didn’t impede the handlebars at full lock, and then job done.